.

.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

China gifts

I mentioned in this post about my day of shopping in Guangzhou. I stole the idea of buying one gift for each of Lucy's first 18 birthdays from my friend Julie who adopted her daughter several years ago. I keep going back and forth as to whether these should be for her birthday or if we should, in some small way, mark the day she joined our family. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea better.

Either way, since a few people have asked about what we got, here's a list of the items organized by the age in which she will receive them. Some of the items we also got for Kate so she can share in the celebration of gaining a sister.

*Note: Lucy was born in the Year of the Ox and Kate was born in the Year of the Tiger, thus the references to these animals in some of the gifts.

Age 2--teddy bear from the China Hotel
First Christmas--squeaky shoes (both girls)
Age 3--Music box with dancing dolls
Age 4--Traditional Chinese dress
Age 5--Child's ox jade pendant necklace (Kate's has a tiger pendant)
Age 6--Ox mobile and an embroidered picture of pandas
Age 7--Dragon puppet
Age 8--Henan Province traditional doll
Age 9--small Jade Buddha and a glass bottle with her name written inside
Age 10--Sandalwood fan and a traditional cloth fan
Age 11--Traditional Chinese flute and a cd of music featuring the flute
Age 12--Set of chops with red ink. Chops are seals/stamps. Lucy's has her name in both Chinese characters and in English. It is made of stone and has an ox on the top.
Age 13--Mahjong set
Age 14--Carved wood jewelry box
Age 15--Buddha bracelet
Age 16--Jade bracelet (both girls)
Age 17--tea set made of fine china
Age 18--Cloissoné Christmas balls
High School graduation--pearl necklace and earrings (both girls)

Now to keep them hidden but also remember to retrieve them on the appointed day for the next 16 years...

And, because this is just too cute not to share, a picture from last week.

5 comments:

PinkDevora said...

That's a fantastic list. I'd like to do something similar, but I think it's harder to come up withso many items for a boy. I'll have to see what I can find.

Gayle Weiswasser said...

Love it. Tho I wonder if we will all still have CD players in 9 years!

Gayle Weiswasser said...

Love it! Tho I wonder if we will all still have CD players in 9 years.

Lisa said...

PinkDevora--instruments, chops, traditional boy's outfits, paintings, jade cufflinks, buddha bracelets are worn by men, chess sets, ornately carved boxes, even some of the tea sets are masculine enough to be given when he's older. There's a lot to choose from!

Lisa said...

Gayle--so true! Maybe I should go ahead and download it to the iPad...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...