.

.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The resiliance of children

Last night was worse than any that preceded it. Kate woke up every 2 hours after we put her down for the evening. I went to bed at 9:30pm and Kate woke at 11pm and stayed up. Lucy woke at midnight and was up off and on until 2am. Len took over working with Lucy and I took Kate into the guest bedroom again (which Kate is now calling Mama's Room). She tossed and turned and sat up and got back down and laid on me and generally made my life miserable until I just sat up myself, cradled her like she was an infant again and rocked her to sleep at 3am. I was in and out of consciousness at this point but I woke up abruptly at 4am when I could no longer feel my left arm and my head was sliding off the pillow. I eased Kate down onto the bed and collapsed next to her. Len and Lucy came in to wake me up at 6am. Kate slept on the bed until about 7:45 or so.

Her fever again went away over night--I could actually feel her getting cooler at 3am as I was rocking her. I called Dr. E anyway and he said to bring her in for a look-see. Her temp. was 97.7, her ears, eyes, lungs, heart and throat were clear and the green snot had turned clear. She did have some swollen lymph nodes but that was about it. He said it was a viral infection (flu) and that it's making the rounds. Takes 7 days to clear up and since this started on Jan. 2 we should be at the end.

Both girls fell asleep in the car afterwards so I drove for 1 1/2 hours so they could get in a good nap. I was fervently wishing I was being driven around as well so I could nap!

As of now, it's 7:10pm and after 10 minutes of crying, all is quiet in the girls' room. I'm planning to scarf down some supper and hit the hay early as I have no idea what the night will hold.

So what does an exhausted mama, who is working on 3 1/2 hours of sleep, do with two energetic children after supper and before bath? I sit in the floor and throw balls for the girls to retrieve and return. It's called Fetch. I knew there was some reason I got a dog prior to having children!

And yes, this was taken tonight. You can't even tell that they were up all night and that Kate had a fever for the past 2 days!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...