.

.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The day got a bit better

It figures that Lucy would sleep in today, until 6:30am. Oh, how I wish I could have done the same! But the day did get better. I had Jessica scheduled to be from 9-5 because of prior appointments (dentist in a.m. for me and speech therapy in p.m. for Lucy). Turns out Annie needed to cancel therapy and b/c of my lack of sleep I cancelled the dentist. Jessica got here a bit early so I took Kate into her room for some reading and hopefully a nap. She fell asleep around 9:15am and I followed shortly.

This was Lucy's first time being left completely on her own without me or Kate around. She did really well. Kate slept until 11:30 so Jess fed the girls lunch and then followed the normal naptime routine for Lucy. Lucy went right down and was just waking up when I woke up at 1:40pm. Both girls were happy to see me and only a tad bit clingy...what I would normally expect but not the desperate clutching that I had feared.

After a small snack together, Jess took them out for a neighborhood walk down the street and I headed out to run a few errands (Len's birthday is tomorrow so this was on my list of things that absolutely needed to get done today!). Got home at 5pm to find the girls eating supper and happy to tell me about their day.

It will be an early night tonight for all of us. Sure hoping I can figure out what is at the root of Kate's waking. I know she is teething (2 year molars are taking an eternity to come in...). She's missing me a lot--Lucy and I have had a lot of appointments in the past two weeks. I haven't done anything with just her so I am trying to come up with something for this weekend that I can do with her while Len plays with Lucy. I do think her lack of quiet time playing alone in her crib may be part of the cause. Even though she didn't nap most days she did sit and have downtime for an hour. Sitting in front of Caillou and reading with me isn't the same kind of rest. Thus far though, I've been unsuccessful at getting her to do that anymore. Lucy just will not stay in the living room and play alone while I prepare Kate for rest-time like Kate will do for Lucy's naptime. So I end up walking out of their room with Lucy and Kate stands in her crib cries and shrieks and generally gets so wound up that rest is not forth-coming.

Anybody with any ideas out there? Getting her down today was easy as Jess had Lucy in the living room. Sigh. I need a full-time nanny for 1/2 an hour/day at naptime. Right.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi, me again! If I've got things right, Kate doesn't sleep during nap time but likes the quiet time in her crib. Also, if Kate goes in after Lucy is asleep, does Kate's quiet play wake Lucy up?

Thought #1: Is there any way Lucy would watch a movie or DVD while you settled Kate? Would she sit and eat a snack (dry Cheerios) in her highchair or would she be so upset that that would be dangerous. Since you'd have Kate enjoying 'quiet time', what if for nap time you then settled Lucy in your room? If Lucy really won't be left alone in the living room this wouldn't work. It may also undo the whole bed thing you've worked so hard to establish.

Another idea, what if Lucy went down first in her crib in the girl's room, and then you let Kate have quiet time in your bed. Either as special time with you, or quiet time without you. I know this may undo the whole sleeping arrangement thing, but maybe for nap time on a short term basis it might work. If being in your room will throw Lucy, put Lucy in her crib and then let Kate snuggle with you and have quiet time in your bed. Kate will understand better that only nap time is in mama and daddy's bed. From what you post, Kate sounds quite mature in a number of ways, language included.

So glad to hear you got to sleep. An old English remedy for teething, dip you finger in some dry sherry and rub it on Kate's gums or let her suck on your finger. We did that with my sister when she was a baby and she didn't turn into an alcoholic! =:) It sure soothed her sore gums. My mum figured it was more natural than medication, plus I don't think they had all the same teething meds back then.

Here's to a better Thursday. Hope you have a great birthday celebration for Len.

Elizabeth said...

Hi, me again! If I've got things right, Kate doesn't sleep during nap time but likes the quiet time in her crib. Also, if Kate goes in after Lucy is asleep, does Kate's quiet play wake Lucy up?

Thought #1: Is there any way Lucy would watch a movie or DVD while you settled Kate? Would she sit and eat a snack (dry Cheerios) in her highchair or would she be so upset that that would be dangerous. Since you'd have Kate enjoying 'quiet time', what if for nap time you then settled Lucy in your room? If Lucy really won't be left alone in the living room this wouldn't work. It may also undo the whole bed thing you've worked so hard to establish.

Another idea, what if Lucy went down first in her crib in the girl's room, and then you let Kate have quiet time in your bed. Either as special time with you, or quiet time without you. I know this may undo the whole sleeping arrangement thing, but maybe for nap time on a short term basis it might work. If being in your room will throw Lucy, put Lucy in her crib and then let Kate snuggle with you and have quiet time in your bed. Kate will understand better that only nap time is in mama and daddy's bed. From what you post, Kate sounds quite mature in a number of ways, language included.

So glad to hear you got to sleep. An old English remedy for teething, dip you finger in some dry sherry and rub it on Kate's gums or let her suck on your finger. We did that with my sister when she was a baby and she didn't turn into an alcoholic! =:) It sure soothed her sore gums. My mum figured it was more natural than medication, plus I don't think they had all the same teething meds back then.

Here's to a better Thursday. Hope you have a great birthday celebration for Len.

Smitha Mathew said...

Hi Lisa,

Is there any way to have separate rooms for Lucy and Kate? I so see the benefits of them being together, but at least they won't feed off of each other all the time.

Then if you define quite times in the day, you can be with each child separately. With my three year old, I have to so force some time by herself. Very difficult, but there is a chance if she has a separate room. All the more difficult because I so know that in a few years she will start running away from me.

But being so close to age Lucy and Kate will be very close to each other as they grow up. it might be safe to keep them in separate rooms if at all possible.

No data behing what I say. Just a gut feeling. I cannot imagine two two-year olds feeding off each other 24hours a day!! Even happy times can be tiring. You are doing such a great job!! I am going to take a nap for you!!
Smitha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...