.

.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oncology update

It's been a busy week nailing down many 2nd opinion appointments. So far here is what I've lined up:

June 5--2nd MRI with contrast to see if the tumor is growing.
June 6--Review MRI findings with docs at Northwestern.
June 12--Dr. Keith Block, The Block Center for Integrative Cancer Care
June 15--Dr. John Knaus
June 25--Dr. Herbert Beck

I have sent my records to Sloan Kettering in NY via a referral I got from our family doctor, Dr. Ettner.

My lovely friend Paivi sent me a really excellent article on desmoid tumors from MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. I highly recommend you read it (just click on the link above) as it really sheds a lot more light on what's going on with me. They mention tumors located exactly where mine is, deep in the pelvis. I guess I should be flattered that I have such a noteworthy tumor as indicated by their opening statement:

Desmoid tumors are among the rarest of tumors—they occur in only 2–4 people per million per year in the United States.

2-4 people PER MILLION PER YEAR?  Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.

I have also requested an appointment with them via their online system so will have to wait to hear back from them.

BTW, how do such young children as mine unerringly know to come over and start haranguing me in the loudest possible voices every single time I'm on the phone?? They can be playing nicely, quietly, completely ignoring me but let me start talking on the phone and taking copious notes...oh, it's just not pretty. 

My next obstacle is to make sure I have childcare for all those appointments...ugh. Marissa is great so far but can only work mornings as she has another family every afternoon. Three of my appointments fall in the afternoon as the docs prefer to make consultations the last appointment of the day in order not to rush which is great in theory...

And to put another snag into life, Len will be working in CA for three days during one of those afternoon appointments. Yay me. 

Does stress cause/exacerbate cancer? I believe it does.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Your strength amazes me, my friend. So many people would have crumbled by now without being proactive with 2nd opinions, etc. You, my friend, are a nose to the grindstone and shoulder to the wheel kind of person....and I love that about you. As for your two beauties exercising their new found voices just for your phone call times, well....I believe you have just entered yet another phase in their little lives that is going to take some serious instruction. Sure hope you have better luck than I did. lol As a matter of fact, Jonathon is 20 and sometimes I STILL have to shush him when I'm on the phone. hahahahah!! :/ Motherhood....neverending....but totally rewarding.

Elizabeth said...

Man I wish we lived closer to each other. I'd love to be able to help you out by looking after the girls. Keep up those positive thoughts, Elizabeth

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...