.

.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Difficult

Me: So, has it grown?

Dr. Bilimoria: No. Not at all. But it's only been 2 months.

Me: So, what do we do now?

Dr. B: Well, there is no textbook for how to deal with you. 

Me: So I'm original?

Dr. B: Or difficult.

Me: My mom will be so pleased to be validated on that one!

Dr. B: All those times people said you were difficult...you are.

So there it is. It's official. I'm officially difficult!

But you knew that didn't you.

He reiterated the same three options:

1. Wait and see with an MRI every 3 months to keep tabs on it.

2. Use medicine to try to shrink it.

3. Surgery as a last resort and not before seeing if it will react to medicine.

He said my tumor is unlike most cancer, that I can't think of it in typical terms like surgery or chemotherapy or even radiation. It is not a tumor that grows and spreads to other organs. Instead it pushes them around and is sticky, thus leaving pieces of it behind making surgery less than 100%. We had a rather lengthy discussion on what surgery would involve and how it would impact my quality of life (suffice to say it was not good). Although my tumor has not grown in two months it is "causing mass effect on the adjacent urethra, vagina, and anal canal, all of which are slightly displaced to the right."

On Friday I will meet with the medical oncologist to discuss his recommendations for medicinal treatment of it. Next week I have appointments with two local oncologists for their opinions and the following week I fly to Houston to meet with the Head of Surgical Oncology at MD Anderson for his opinion. At least time is on my side with this tumor.

5 comments:

mommy of 2 said...

Aye yi yi! Difficult...geesh. Still praying.

Lynn K said...

You are such an incredibly strong person. You will see this through.

Heather H. said...

Don't you just love clean-cut/clear problems and answers? (Yes, sarcasm there.) Sigh. Well, let's focus on the good news that it's not growing quickly. It seems like you are doing the best things possible: getting lots of knowledgeable opinions and hearing your options.

Good luck, Lisa.

By the way, I check in all the time. However, I am frequently on my iPod which cannot handle that "prove your not a robot" bit at the bottom, so I frequently don't leave comments. In fact, the items are getting so difficult I'm having a hard time figuring them out these days. Oh, lovely computers. Anyway, I just wanted to reassure you that I'm here, even if you don't always hear from me.

Smitha Mathew said...

Lisa: How about it not growing at all for the next 46 years?

Dr: Difficult to answer, but possible.

Lisa : I specialize in "difficult but miraculous". Have you heard of twins born in two continents?

Lisa said...

Smitha, that is too funny! Thanks for that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...