.

.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Squeezing all we can out of summer

As I have mentioned too many times to count, I LOVE SUMMER. I love that I don't have to spend 1/2 an hour layering on clothes, I love the sound of the cicadas in the evening, I love the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies at the farmer's market every week, I love taking my girls to the pool and watching their glee every.single.time they jump in, I love the cool breeze we get from living near the lake and how the sound of that breeze whispers in the trees.

This week Ms. Julie was on vacation so I had an entire week to fill up. It makes for a very long week since Kate has completely stopped napping and Lucy is down to 60 minutes max. It also meant a dearth of blog posts as I never had any downtime and was so exhausted at night that I went straight to bed.

Anyway, here's the catchup for last week's adventures.

On Sunday we drove to the 'burbs to visit with Ed, Dolores and Sister Vianney, Len's 2nd cousins. We had a good time catching up and listening to Ed play the accordian.
 The girls loved dancing while he played.
They decided to play the piano for a bit.
We ended up with quite a crowd over to see us!
 
We enjoyed the zoo with Sara and her daughter Lina. Each time we go it seems the girls enjoy it more. The monkey house was their favorite!
The gibbons put on quite a show for them.
 
Lucy was fascinated by the gorillas. She stood looking at them for at least 10 minutes.
 
The trolley ride was not nearly as calamitous as the last time. As Kate put it, "Lucy didn't cry this time!"
We spent a lot of time outside playing in the water.
 
 They insisted on wearing "the new shirts we got from Daddy's work".
 
I love that these pictures really show how they interact with each other...when they are getting along and not fighting over the hose!
 
We installed Lucy's new mirror from Yia Yia and Pappou. (I will do a separate post on the transformation of their rooms once we have them complete--it's still a work-in-progress).

I loved watching the faces Lucy made as she inspected herself in her new mirror.
 
 
We drew chalk outlines on the sidewalk...which made it look like a mini-crime scene actually.
We shopped for Halloween costumes. They both INSISTED that they wanted to be Minnie Mouse.
We'll see. I haven't cut the tags off yet.

I'm not sure I want to admit this last thing we did....Len was SHOCKED when I told him where we had gone because I *might* have said that I would NEVER, EVER go after we went there many years ago with our nephews. I really have no idea what came over me but we ended up at Up-Chuck E Cheese. It was just as nightmarish as I remember with sticky bathroom floors, too many blinky lights and loud sounds and really bad pizza. Alas, the girls had a good time on the rides.

Sigh.
 
 
 
 
This was as far as they got in the hamster maze...they were just too short to be able to handle the taller steps.
Upon reflection, I know how we ended up there. It was Friday. A Friday after I had been ON with them all week with no breaks during the day. Even though I had to keep track of them here, it was a relatively painless way to spend an hour (if you don't count the bad food and noise...).

Ms. Julie returns this week and I suspect that as happy as the girls will be to see her, it will be me who dances with joy as she comes in the door.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...