.

.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Ewwww! (and a couple of recipes)

Kate was so excited when we went to the store over the weekend and she picked out a pie pumpkin. She was excited as it sat on our counter for 2 days and "watched her eat". She was even excited when I said it was time to cut it open to make something yummy.

I turned my back for one second and I hear a retching sound. I look and Kate is SO NOT happy.
It smells bad Mama. And it feels gross.

Her sister did not have the same qualms.
 Kate really did not like this particular activity.
 
Just in case I was unclear from her words and expression, she did another mock retch to drive home her point. I swear I don't know where she gets her flair for drama....

meanwhile, Lucy is working away, very focused on her task to scrape out every last seed and string of goop.
After we cleaned all the goop and seeds out, I boiled the lot in a brine of salt and a little sugar for 15 minutes. This not only cleans off most of the goop, but it softens any tough hulls and infuses the seeds with flavor. After rinsing with cool water, we set to work picking the seeds out of the goop to dry on the towel.
Kate really didn't like the result of boiling as the goop is even goopier and slimier than it was.
 
Lucy loved it! After picking out all the seeds and laying them to dry on a towel, I let her play with the goop for a bit.
Once the seeds were dry, we coated them in olive oil and then toasted them in the oven (300F for 45 min, stirring every 15). While they were toasting we made a seasoning mix in the the grinder (1 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 tsp black peppercorns, 1/4 tsp dried and rubbed sage, 1/4 tsp dried rosemary). As soon as the seeds came out of the oven, we sprinkled with the some of the seasoning (you won't use it all) so that it could soak into the oil before the oil is fully absorbed into the seed.

They were devoured within minutes. NOW Kate will touch them!
 
Meanwhile, I cooked the pumpkin halves in the oven (placed cut side down in a pan with 1/2" of water, baked at 350F for 45 min or so until soft). When they were done, I cooled them before scooping out the innards. Here's the recipe for a yummy pumpkin pie pudding that the girls will have for breakfast with their oatmeal tomorrow.

Combine the following in a blender:
1 c. pumpkin
1 c. coconut milk (I used the lite version)
1 c. unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves
5 medjool dates, pits removed (I didn't have any on hand so substituted 1 Tb brown rice syrup)

Whir this together until smooth. Pour into a glass bowl. Stir in 3 TB chia seeds (again, no chia seeds on hand so I substituted salba).

Cover and store in fridge overnight or at least 4 hours. Yum!
This is the result before refrigerating. I gave the girls a taste tonight after supper and they both wanted more so I think we have a hit on our hands!

1 comment:

joondal upchiro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...