.

.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Heart Letter, Month 34

Dear Lucy,

You are 34 months old today.
And guess what?! You have now been our daughter for over a year! Serendipitously, your re-adoption day at court was also the day we first received legal custody of you in China: September 19. You were so happy that the day was all about you.

You enjoyed looking out from the 17th floor down to Daley Plaza while we waited for all the paperwork to make its way through the system.
And I was so proud when it came time to appear before the judge. You stood up on the light brown ledge right in front of her and answered her question:

Judge: Lucy, do you know why you are here?
Lucy: GOT ME!

I had no idea she would ask you that question but was so impressed that you understood and could answer her. We were not allowed to take photos inside the courtroom but I did snap this photo through the window before we were called in.
She came out to the waiting room for a photo op though your face indicates that you are more interested in opening the green lollipop the bailiff handed you on the way out.
We celebrated our very first Family Day/Got Me Day with a feast at Lao Szechuan with Ms. Julie.
We had a pretty low-key month but did manage to have some fun activities off and on. We kicked off the month celebrating Labor Day at the lakefront. You totally surprised Daddy and me by your thorough glee at swimming in the rather chilly, choppy lake.
So choppy that you were bowled over by the waves quite a few times.
 And yet up you popped, sputtering, smiling...and ready to do it over again.
We spent one lovely morning walking around North Pond, illegally feeding the ducks all of your cheerios from your snack trap.

I just realized I am setting a bad example for you with all of my illegal activities...illegal pictures of the courtroom, illegally feeding ducks your cereal...

We continued walking and ended up at the Peggy Notebaert Museum right as the turtles and frogs were being fed. You really liked seeing the frogs snap up crickets with their tongues!
You got your second haircut and were much more excited about it this time.
This picture makes me think of your birthmother and what she must look like. I don't know if it's the closed lip smile or the half-closed eyes, but you look like a very wise Chinese sage.

Until you do this:
You and your sister seem to be regressing just a bit. You both are asking to look at your baby pictures, followed by a need to be swaddled and bottled.
You have also taken a rather amorous interest in one of our kitchen mats.
You will lay down and hum to yourself while picking at the loose fiber nubbins and are quite upset when I need you to move so I can access the sink.

I'm not sure what is going on right now but in-between these bouts of self-soothing you are alternately clinging to me or pushing me away. You are testing the limits of EVERYTHING on an almost unbearably minute-by-minute basis. You will tell me, "Go away Mommy", during the day but will cry "Mommy! More cuddles, cuddle me" after you are already tucked in for the night.
The good thing is that I can now understand what you are saying about 80% of the time. The other 20% is usually translated by your sister who seems to understand everything you say.  Several people have remarked on how much clearer your language is becoming and how much happier you are.

You're also a little more low-key at the park. Although you have gotten quite good at jumping off of things and even walking the balance beam without my holding your hands, you mostly just want to sit in the swing and "GO HIGH!"
You can alternately be a giant PITA and the most loving child on the planet. I suppose that is the age as your sister seems to be in lockstep with you on these matters. Just in case you care, I really prefer the latter. Remember this though: I will love you always. You are my daughter, you have completed our family and I am so happy we GOT YOU!
Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

mommy of 2 said...

Love this!

Elizabeth said...

Kate's love letter prompted me to go back and find and read Lucy's heart letter. I don't know how I missed it. I love them both. Wow, how far Lucy has come. She looks very happy in the photos and quite a ham at times.
Good luck with the move to Houston.
Elizabeth

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...