.

.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Amazing

That is how I would describe my husband. After 23 1/2 years of marriage, he still amazes and surprises me.

Today was my last day of radiation treatment and I asked several of the people I've met here in Houston to help me "ring out" if they were available and could come. I was very happy to see Paivi, Melissa and my old friend from LSU, Lisa H., waiting in the lobby when we pulled up. We all walked down to waiting area I for my turn at getting zapped for the last time.
While I was in there for the 8-10 minutes it takes to fry "Dezzie" to a fare-thee-well, Len was setting up Nana's computer so several of our friends and family could skype in and share the event. What an amazing and wonderful and thoughtful thing to plan!! I was able to share this fabulous day with Uncle Ry Ry in Singapore, Yia Yia and Pappou in DC, Tita Wheez in Atlanta, Jackie, Christy, Josephine, and Aleks in Chicago. Meme and Papa tried to skype in as well but we never could get connected. Can I just say how wonderful it was for everyone to take the time to call in and for Len to put it all together??! I mean, I'm still grinning! It really made the day so special.
 Nana held up the computer so everyone could see me ring the bell.
The girls had been talking about ringing the bell all week so they did some pretty good and loud ringing before we had to physically pry their fingers off the rope!
 For the longest time I thought I was in Room 13 for treatment but it's actually I3 for waiting Area I. Still, it was a bit disconcerting there for a while.
Before I move on to the celebration on the Observation Deck, let me give a shout-out to the wonderful staff in the radiation department. Without fail these ladies were cheerful and always happy to see me when I came in. They made my daily trips much easier just by having a happy face greet me as I walked up to the desk for check-in.
I know the oncologists always get the most kudos but I have to say that the people doing the hard work are these ladies. They are there every day, smiling, happy to see you, and working above and beyond to make the whole experience as easy and "enjoyable" as having radiation can possibly be. I have to say I will miss these smiles every day!
After ringing the bell much more than was necessary, we said goodbye to our skype crowd and headed upstairs to the Observation Deck at MD Anderson.
We brought some goodies to eat while we enjoyed the view from the 24th floor.
Lisa H. and I got in some good catching up time. It's been 8+ years since we've seen each other.
The most amazing man on the planet! Thank you again Len for arranging such a wonderful surprise.
We got lucky--window washers showed up and provided lots of entertainment for the girls.
 
Once we got back to the apartment, Len ceremoniously cut my wristband off!
And the girls and I went for a swim after naptime!
Lisa H. is in town for the weekend so we will have more time to catch up with each other before we all head home, she back to Louisiana and us back to Chicago. We had a nice dinner of mushroom pasta and some salad.
 My supper was accompanied by my wine glass full of supplements as usual.
And finally, thank you to everyone who has emailed, texted and facebook messaged me today. I haven't had the chance to respond to everyone yet but do know that your support, thoughts and prayers have meant a lot to both Len and me. We are thankful beyond measure for such wonderful friends.

And I'm still grinning.

5 comments:

Heather H. said...

I'm so happy this stage is over for you! Congratulations (I guess-not sure what the proper thing is to say). That was very thoughtful of Len, bonus points to him. :)

Here's to getting back to "normal" life at home.

Heather

Elizabeth said...

Like Heather, I'm not sure congratulations is the right word but so pleased this part of the treatment is over. I am so hoping everything with the girls returns to normal, or near normal when you get home. You are blessed to have such a wonderful man, incredible mother and delightful daughters. May the Christmas season bring you and your family much peace, happiness and joy.
Have a safe trip home,
Elizabeth
P.S. Have you heard of the "Elf on a Shelf"? He seems to be all the rage according to other blogs.

Lisa said...

Thank you both! And yes, we are planning to get that mischievous elf once we get back! I'm hoping he can keep naptime going!!

mommy of 2 said...

Yay!!!

Now to prepare to enter December in Chicago :)
Kerri

thatsalotofesses said...

So glad to be a part of this. Love you guys and am THRILLED that you'll be coming home so soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...