.

.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Happy Birthday Nana!

Today is Nana's birthday so we had an afternoon filled with firsts for her. But before we get to that, let's talk about the wonderful baklava that Yia Yia and Lucy made this morning shall we?

(Kate opted out saying it was "too messy" but in the end I think it was because she wasn't feeling well. She was running a temperature tonight and has a croupy cough. During bathtime she just collapsed into tears and wanted to go to bed "with Mama". I laid in her room with some books while Len bathed and lotioned Lucy. By the time he was done with her, Kate was well on her way to dreamland.)

Lucy was totally into brushing butter onto yet more phyllo.
She got a bit rambunctious several times, sticking her finger through the dough, jamming the brush a little too hard. It wasn't anything that Yia Yia couldn't fix with a little more dough and some butter though!
Here it is! Normally it would be much prettier, adorned with cloves, but alas, I misjudged how many I had in my spice cabinet and we ran out after scenting the syrup.
Ms. Julie came to watch the girls while the three of us headed to the Ritz downtown for some serious pampering. Since my mom is a spa virgin I didn't want to throw her into the deep end with a massage. We spent a leisurely couple of hours getting mani-pedi's. I told mom's technician that not only was this her first mani-pedi but it was also her birthday so mom ended up getting an extra-long foot and leg massage. I think she was pretty happy based on the pictures!
 
Sexy legs don't you think?
A bit blurry but she got some seriously red toes! The girls were delighted to see our toes when we got home!
After our nails were sufficiently dry we headed upstairs to have afternoon tea, another first for my mom.
I think it was a hit!
Happy birthday Mama! Thank you so much for EVERYTHING you've done this past year. We could not have made it through the year without your help. It means so much to both Len and me that you would come live with us for 3 months to take care of not just the girls but me, Len and the dishes Every. Single. Night. We love you.

And another happy birthday to Uncle Ry Ry in Singapore. We love and miss you more than you know and hope to visit you for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2014!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So glad to hear Nana had a great birthday. You are so blessed to have her in your lives and I'm sure she feels you guys in hers. Isn't it wonderful that Lucy has become a member of such a loving, caring, family. One of the reasons that I want to adopt is to give my future child that strong sense of family, love and belonging. My parents are like Nana, and my dad took such good care of me for five days back in November when I first hurt my knee. Happy Birthday Nana!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...