.

.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Is this what they mean by a bad case of the Mondays?


It is currently 10am and my day is already completely awry. For a person who thrives on organization and a schedule, I'm not living my optimal life! Silly me, I actually thought having the girls in school would make my life easier and more predictable. Honestly, I'm not sure how families where both parents work manage unless they have a full-time nanny on-call at all times.

Today was planned to go thusly:

Lisa takes Len and girls to the train, returns home, showers, eats breakfast, takes care of a few chores around the house, possibly gets an hour of language homework done and then picks up the girls from school after lunch. In the middle of that, our groceries were due to be delivered sometime between 8-10am.

This is what actually happened:

Lisa takes Len and girls to the train (and managed this with no meltdowns or tantrums, ON TIME without rushing--a major accomplishment). So far, so good. Because the temperature is 12 degrees we wait in the car until we can see the train coming. And we wait. And wait. And wait some more. Len checks online. Turns out there is "police activity" at the previous stop that has delayed all the trains north and south bound for an "indeterminate amount of time." By now it's after 8am. Just as we're trying to figure out plan B, I get a text that our delivery driver is almost at our house. So we head back home, illegally park on our street so I can run upstairs to let the grocery guy in, all the while trying to figure out how to alter all my plans. Len lets the girls get out of the car to run up and down the sidewalk so they won't be stuck in their car seats for what could be a very long morning.

I realize that by the time I get the girls and Len downtown it will be too late to return home and accomplish anything before having to drive back. I hurriedly put the perishable groceries away, pack myself a lunch, some afternoon snacks for the girls (we have gymnastics this afternoon as well), my various electronic devices, and out the door I go. I have not brushed my hair or teeth, I'm wearing the same shirt I had on yesterday, sweat pants and haven't even put lotion on my face (gasp!--truly, I ALWAYS wash my face and put on sunscreen every single day). As we are driving in massive traffic to get downtown, we hear on the radio that some guy was walking ON TOP OF THE TRAIN which was the cause for the police activity.

I hope they pushed him off. Not onto the third rail (I'm not that callous) but onto the cold, icy ground so that the next time he entertains the idea of walking on top of a train during morning rush hour, he will think better of it.

And now I sit in a coffee shop near the school, eating yogurt and sipping coffee, watching a new mom and her baby languish over coffee and cuddles, thinking about how much easier life was when they were smaller, with no schedule to keep, no where in particular to be and the whole day ahead of us.

Of course it looks rosy in retrospect...I probably was wearing a day-old shirt and sweats then as well, with unbrushed (and unwashed) hair, smelling slightly of whatever was for breakfast. But I had an obvious excuse for looking that way. Now I just look like I rolled out of bed and simply didn't give a damn.


3 comments:

Gloria Szanto said...

It is just life

Gloria Szanto said...

It is just life

Jodie said...

Funny. Each stage my Jonathon went through I would think, "This is bound to get easier as he gets older." I found myself wishing for him to turn another year older as much as he did. "Jonathon, how old are you?" "I'm 4 but I want to be 5." He's 22 now....and life as a mom is harder now than it ever was....just in a different way. How I wish I could have had that kind of Monday right along with you. ;) You're the best mom, my friend ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...