.

.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Love Letter, Month 50

Dear Kate,

You are 50 months old today.
You had your school pictures taken last month and you chose your outfit carefully, dithering over which headband to wear. Ultimately, the flower headband from Meme and Papa made the cut and off you went. You came home on picture day all upset that your teachers had "combed my hair the wrong way!" When you saw your picture, you were upset all over again that your teachers had combed your hair forward instead of to the side like Ms. Patty does when she styles your hair. I must say I was bummed as well because now it just looks like I might have cut your bangs sideways. Your smile, as always, saves the day but it's nice to know that we both share the same aesthetic! I am not looking forward to your teenage years if this is how you feel about your hair already...I was a hot mess every morning of high school, spending 2 hours in the bathroom washing and drying and hot rolling and curling and brushing my hair and it still ended up looking like everyone else's in the 80s.

This month has seen vast improvements in your behavior. You are learning to use your words instead of spontaneously combusting when things aren't going your way. I wish I could give either of us full credit but a good majority of it lays with your responsibility chart and the promise of a surprise. For the first time this month, both you and Lucy got all of your stickers for one entire week and your reward was a morning of jumping on trampolines followed by lunch at a restaurant with both Daddy and me.

We had a few other adventures this month including sledding and swimming. Ms. Paivi and her family came to enjoy our massive amount of snow so we took them sledding
and they, in turn, invited us to go swimming at their hotel.
You picked right up in the water as if you had not been out of it for several months, jumping in and swimming like a fish.
You were thrilled when we met up with my Chinese language teacher and some other friends for supper. By the end of the meal, you asked me shyly if you could sit with Ms. Shuang.
Your face in this picture made me laugh because I can tell that you are barely containing your funny combination of shyness and manic happiness at having the full attention of an adult.
You have learned to hula hoop this month which is another example of how, when you want to learn something, you will repeat it over and over and over until you get it. You've been working on your hula hoop nonstop and then suddenly, you just "got it" and you've been doing it ever since, much to Lucy's dismay. She has not been as interested in learning it...that is, until she saw you doing it. You two have a rather healthy competitive relationship.
This extends to even minor things like sleeping masks. Ever since you have been aware that I sleep with an eye mask, you have been nagging me for one which then made Lucy ask for one even though she really could have cared less. Your wish was finally granted when Meme found one in a store near her and sent it for Valentine's Day.
You go to sleep with it on every night and I was curious as to whether it actually stayed on so I snuck in one night before I headed to bed and found this:
And no, you didn't wake up!

You come home every Friday with a bag full of artwork that you have completed in school. As we were going through it, you picked out two pieces that were your favorites (actually, one "piece" is actually a series you named, appropriately, "Blobs of Paint").
 The other one is entitled, "Our Family". It now has a place of honor on the 'fridge.
You are really enjoying artwork so much more and even made a picture for your dentist, Dr. Boyd. You were beaming with pride when he taped it to the wall in his reception area.
As always, I will end with some of the funny remarks you've made this month.

Looking down at the shirt I had picked out for you to wear: Oh Mama, this is dreadful. Just dreadful. I can't wear this.

Ok, watch and learn: when showing us all how to kick a ball.

I noticed that your glass snow globe was not on the tall dresser and was instead hidden behind your picture on your nightstand. I moved it to be in front of the picture but left it on your nightstand. You noticed right away and told me you had moved it but put it behind your picture so none of your friends (or Lucy!) would mess with it. Then you said, Can you leave it on my nightstand? I think I'm responsible enough now to take care of it.

You to Ms. Julie: Ok, close your eyes!
Ms. Julie: Can I open my eyes yet?
You: No.
Ms. Julie: Now can I open my eyes?
You: Not yet.
Ms. Julie: Now????
You: You're nagging.

Pot, meet Kettle.
Love,
Mama

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...