.

.

Friday, July 3, 2015

After supper strolls

One of the things that I love about summer is its slower pace. Because we don't have to be up for school, the girls' bedtime has been pushed back an hour, allowing for long summer strolls after supper. We pick a different direction each evening and go where our feet lead us. Last evening's stroll (which required fleece, even for Len, so you know how chilly it is here!) took us west first.
One thing I've found about walking with children is that it's quite similar to walking a dog. You stop to inspect leaves, bugs, dogs, dandelions, squirrels, etc.  This is not a power walk by any means.
We ventured out of the residential blocks and onto the main commercial strip.
This took us past our dry cleaner who saw the girls and offered them chocolates. She also taught them how to say thank you in Korean although she did understand the Chinese version they gave.
Closer to home, we stopped at this fence covered in honeysuckle. I taught them how to pinch the end of the flower and suck the nectar out--something I used to do as a child to the vine that grew in our yard.
Now that I think of it, my pet gerbils, Pumpkin and Peanut, were actually buried under that vine. It's amazing what you remember when you stop to smell (and sip) the flowers.

1 comment:

Heather H. said...

Awesome. My dad taught me to sip nectar, too. Glad to know these things still go on in our plastic-wrapped world.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...