.

.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Love Letter, Month 68

Dear Kate,

You are 68 months old today, my little sunflower.
This has been an exciting month--your last month of Summer 2015.  We've had lots of adventures starting with the Chicago Air and Water show. You enjoyed the planes, the food, and later, digging in the sand.
This year you decided that you really wanted to run the Spartan race with your sister (actually, you really wanted the medal so you agreed to run the race in order to get one) so we set off early one hot and sticky August day for the far southwest suburbs. You were a bit nervous about it initially but once it got underway you thoroughly enjoyed yourself, finishing strong.



We had a few lower-key activities as well including:

a book reading (The Day the Crayons Came Home) at the local bookstore
two art projects at the Children's Museum. The first one, a watercolor,


and the second, a bowl made out of clay


We went to Brookfield Zoo twice this month and during one of those visits, you were picked to help throw food into the air for one of the falcons to catch in their Festival of Flight show.
You are very into animals of all kinds right now, mostly because your favorite tv show is "Wild Kratts". In that show, two brothers travel the globe in search of various creatures, educating kids about science, zoology, habitats, etc. along the way.

You are enthralled and every day you will tell me some "creature fact" that you have learned and on zoo days, I was amazed to hear you rattling off details about cheetahs, condors, and bats as we went through those exhibits. Closer to home, you and Bella continue your love affair, although when you become a little overzealous she has found a very gentle, yet effective way to keep you from invading her space.
This new interest in animals took the form of a multi-week project in which you hung all of your stuffed animals over your head every night.

For the last official weekend of summer we enjoyed a day at the beach with your friend Lucy D and her family. You braved the 59 degree water temps and spent a good portion of your time swimming as I lost feeling in my feet standing out there with you.



The biggest event this month as been the start of kindergarten! You have really missed school and especially listening to and speaking in Chinese on a regular basis. You frequently ask me when we can visit with my Chinese teacher, Ms. Vicky, or go to Chinatown so you can listen to people. When we were at the Botanic Garden you noticed a Chinese family playing nearby. You asked if you could go over to speak with them (and would I please come with you...) so off we went and after introductions were made, you held court all by yourself with the Nainai and the Mama while Lucy played Baby Lion with the little boys.
They were impressed with your accent and said that you sounded like you were a native of Northern China which pleased you more than most anything had that day.

As for school, you and Lucy were ready and raring to go on the first day!
You both rushed to Qiongwei lao shi, hastily kissing and hugging me goodbye so you could set right to work exploring the classroom.
You came home with some hand-print fishies:
And now for the Kateisms of the month:

You tore this out of your diary earlier in the month and I found it in on your bed. I couldn't resist making a copy:
"I am sad because Lucy is not being nice to me."

Your handwriting improved dramatically this month, as evidenced by this penpal letter to YiaYia. You absolutely cracked me up with your last sentence in answer to her question about how many American dollars you would need to equal 50 Canadian dollars:
August 26, Dear Yiayia and Pappou, Thank you for writing back to me. I am still on vacation from school. Yes, I am having fun. I did like tennis camp. I love playing the flute. I learned a Chinese song on the flute. Yes, I have been swimming a lot. Lucy woke me up very early and I am very tired. I did not know I would have to do a math problem today.
August 30. Dad helped me with the math problem. The answer is $37.50 in American dollars. I love and miss you both. Kate

You also practiced writing your name in cursive at the bottom of the page.

On the ride home from school, you and Lucy were sharing a packet of sandwich crackers. You counted how many there were (6) and deduced that you should have 3 each. A few minutes later, Lucy had hoovered through hers and was trying to get yours to which you said: "Lucy, you are pushing the limit!"

Ouch.

Remember that one of the creature powers of parrots is that they repeat what they hear? Yeah, so, one of the things you should know before you have children is that what you are really raising are parrots. Speak and act with this knowledge in the forefront of your brain lest you fall into the same trap as your mama.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...