.

.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Ryan and Paul say I do!

Most of the people you call family are related to you because of genetics. But others you call family because of a true, deep, and abiding affection for each other. One of those people in my life is Ryan, affectionately known as Spiff for reasons I will keep to myself (big sisters can do that...).

(Oh, did you think there might be an explanation for the picture above? I'm afraid I'll just let it stand on its own...as...ART)

I consider Ryan the little brother I never had. We are 9 1/2 years apart in age (yes, 9 1/2, NOT 10 as he would like you to think) but that has not kept us from bonding over the years from everything to music, movies, and design style to a pretty wicked sense of humor. We met at LSU in design school where we spent many long hours in studio slaving over designs that would never be built. When Len and I moved to DC after graduation, Ryan stayed with us while he interviewed, moving to Capitol Hill 6 months behind us. While we never worked at the same design firms, we got together quite often after work or on the weekends, even going to NYC to see Spamalot (Monty Python is another shared love!).

 As big sisters are wont to do (not ever having been a big sister I am projecting....), I felt protective towards Ryan. Although I knew he was gay way before he wanted me to (I mean, Ally McBeal was his ideal woman...she of the "flat chest and no hips" variety), it was a relief when he finally "came out" to Len on a park bench during lunch one workday.

Fast forward to Paul who has folded nicely into our family. I'm not sure what year they met (the photo below was in 2008) but it feels like he's always been a part of who we are.
Not too long after we moved to Chicago, Ryan and Paul began planning a big move themselves....to Singapore. We flew to DC when Kate was 15 months old to say our goodbyes.
Singapore turned out to be quite the adventure for them and a big bonus for us when we traveled to China in 2011 for Lucy. It meant so much to us that they would take time off to meet us in Guangzhou for the last leg of our trip. Other than my mom, they were the first family to meet our newest daughter and they were the perfect pair to help me shop for gifts.

Now new adventures await the pair. They are moving to London in a couple of weeks but before that, we had the honor of attending their wedding here in Chicago last weekend. It was a lovely affair and united two wonderful families.
Ryan with his mom and Aunt Mac.
They got some incredible photos taken around great Chicago landmarks.











And then the wedding!

Ryan & Paul wedding from Lisa on Vimeo.



Congratulations Spiff and Paul! We love you both and are so happy for you as you continue your adventures across the pond.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...