.

.

Friday, November 18, 2016

A lecture, a piano duet and pajamas

As is usual, things are staying busy in our little household. The day after the election I attended a very timely lecture by Rosalind Wiseman entitled, "Creating a Culture of Dignity."


If you aren't familiar with her, she wrote "Queen Bees and Wannabes" which was the basis for the 2004 film "Mean Girls". I had read this book years ago in my bookclub and have also read most of "The Whole Brain Child" which she listed as a resource above. For those of you with boys, she has also written, "Masterminds and Wingmen". Given the current climate of bullying, it was a great opportunity to discuss ways to combat that and create a more appropriate path for our girls to follow.

This week was Lunch with a Loved One at school so I packed up some soup and spent 20 minutes in the cafeteria with my girls. 20 minutes is not very much time for lunch. That's all I can say about that.

Today was pajama day in their classroom. From what I could glean from them talking over each other, their class apparently earned enough points from good behavior and/or work that they could choose a reward. Pajama day won much to their delight. I remember reading "Fancy Nancy's Pajama Day" to them several years ago and then subsequently regretting that because they wanted their Montessori school to institute the tradition. Which they would mention every time we read the book. Hallelujah for small wishes come true--this morning was the easiest on record with Kate. All she had to do was roll out of bed and eat breakfast.



They were even ready early enough to practice a duet on the piano.

Brave Little Indians from Lisa on Vimeo.


In house news, I've finished the girls' rooms with the exception of curtains. I hope to find some soon and will get some pics up when that is done. We also ripped out the cabinets in the garage and had our handyman neighbor build some shelving instead which has made all the difference in terms of storage now that the boats are in from the lake. I hope to get some photos of that soon too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...